Build your credit through smart spending, low debts, and on-time payments
Your credit score plays a big part in getting credit cards, home loans, apartment rentals, and much more.
It’s a powerful number. Because your credit score can impact so many aspects of your life, it’s important for you to have a good handle on how to manage and build your credit so it’ll help you move through the milestones of your life.
Tips for building and maintaining good credit
- Get your credit score. Federal law entitles you to a free annual credit report. Get yours here.
- Understand your score. Take this free course to learn more about how your score is calculated.
- Build your credit. Get a low/no fee credit card with a low interest rate. Pay it off in full every month, on time.
- Keep your debts low. Your debt should always be below 30% of your total credit limit.
- Keep your credit cards open as long as possible. This will help your score.
- Check your credit regularly. Report mistakes to the credit bureaus.