It pays to be smart about fraud and identity theft.
These days it’s more important than ever to be alert and informed when it comes to protecting your identity and personal information.
Fraud and identity theft can take many forms, and Statewide is dedicated to helping you prevent fraud, detect scams, and keep your money and your personal information safe. Knowledge is power when it comes to fraud prevention, so we’ve gathered some tips and resources for you.
Tips for avoiding fraud:
- Create strong passwords. Store them securely and change them periodically.
- Be cautious and aware. Don’t visit suspicious websites or follow links you don’t trust.
- Don’t share your personal information with sources you don’t trust, especially pop-ups. Don’t click on links in emails that ask for your personal information.
- Download files and open attachments with caution. Never open unexpected attachments, and only download files from trusted sources.
- Shred paper documents that contain your name, account numbers or other sensitive information.
- Secure your home computer. Use a firewall to protect your computer, and encrypt your home wifi network. Also, backup your files regularly.
Learn more about different types of fraud, and how to prevent them »